District 13 Meeting Minutes – 05/18/2021

Next District Meeting 06/15/2021

In Attendance:  Bre, Brian K, Paul, Jim W, Paul S, Steve B, Mike R, Bob K, Scott H, Michael, Chelsea, George M, Mark C, Daniel, Tom, Ashley, John S., Adam K.

Jim W opened the District Meeting and Jim chaired the Meeting. The meeting was opened with a quiet time followed by the Serenity Prayer and Responsibility Statement.

Brian K - Read Traditions 1, 2, 9 and 12.

1.        Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA Unity.

2.        For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority – a loving God as He may express himself in our group conscience.  Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

9.  A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards directly responsible to those they serve.

12.  Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

Concepts 1 and 12 were read by Scott H.

1. Final responsibility and ultimate authority for AA World Service should always reside in the collective conscience of our fellowship.

12.  The conference shall observe the spirit of the AA tradition taking care that it never becomes the seat of perilous wealth or power; that sufficient operating funds and reserve be its prudent financial principle; that it place none of its members in a position of unqualified authority over others; that it reach all important decisions by discussion, vote, and whenever possible substantial unanimity; that its actions never be personally punitive nor an incitement to public controversy; that it never perform acts of government; that, like the society it serves, it will always remain democratic in thought and action.

Jim W asked everyone to review minutes. Brian motioned, Paul second, passed

Jim W went over the agenda. Brian motioned, Paul second, passed.

REPORTS:

Treasurer’s Report – Dan C.

      Collected $51. Paid out 47.73 (phone bill & website domain). Op funds 1159.46 Pink Can total: $810.15 (hasn’t moved in a while). Going to leave it alone for now.

      Jim raised the question of how long Nazar has been paying for the website. Nazar said “don’t worry about it” but we’re thinking maybe that goes against the 7th tradition of declining outside contributions. Now and moving forward, the website payment will be charged on the district card and will be automatic.

      Jim will give Nazar a call to see what we can do! Stay tuned!

Zoom Committee- Tom D

      TU, TH, SA still running smooth however numbers are dropping a little as in-person meetings open up. Especially on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

      Idea last week from Jim to change committee name to Video Conferencing Committee so we don’t violate tradition of being affiliated with outside organizations (Zoom). Tom and the committee have approved the name change to VCC (Video Conferencing Committee) instead of Zoom committee.

Finance Committee – Steve B.

      Met last Thursday May 13th.

      Financial workshop on June 3 from 11am-12pm. Virtual workshop. See Steve for the Zoom meeting info and passcode. It will go over how things for in the area.

      The motion was amended for accepting small memorial contributions. They will be accepted by discretion of the office manager.

      Discussion about worker’s comp and insurance for employees. Office manager is requesting quotes for companies.

Correctional Facilities Committee – Phil M.

      Phil absent but Brian K mentioned that there’s still not a lot going on.

      Ashley – went to a correctional committee meeting and they’re talking about doing Zoom meetings, pen pal stuff and maybe care packages for people who are getting out so they know where to go and who to call.

Directory and Literature Committee – Vacant

Workshop Committee – Brian K.

      There is one in the que! Waiting for things to open a little more!

Picnic Committee: Ashley/Brian

      PICNIC INFO: July 17th tentatively

      We will need portable toilets (we can split with boyscouts who will be using the church lawn the weekend before)

      Flyers: Paul S will potentially get them printed and will refund him

      Paul in charge of tickets

      Mary Jane treasurer—Paul asking for seed money $350 (from the district) to cover some of the costs (we normally do that). Will be repaid later.

      Face painting.CANCELLED!

      Bounce House.CANCELLED!

      Games on the Go.CANCELLED!

      Leave COVID guidelines and precautions to picnic committee.

Public Information Committee/Cooperation with Professional Community Committee – Vacant

AA Grapevine Committee – John S.

      NEED MORE SUBSCRIBERS!! Down to 60K subscribers from 100K.

      Grapevine and La Viña Celebrate Founders' Day with Free Access from May 26 through June 10, 2021. For free access from May 26 through June 10, 2021 visit: www.aagrapevine.org or www.aalavina.org

      Grapevine looking for stories, photos, illustrations. Visit www.aagrapevine.org/share to learn more about how you can share with Grapevine.

      This month’s Grapevine featured section is “Our Twelve Steps” AA members share inspiring stories of experience and hope about how the Steps changed their lives. Also included are powerful stories of hope by members during the current COVID-19 crisis

      Submit your stories for upcoming issues:  Remote Communities & Sober Holidays (due June 15); Beginners & Day Counters (due July 15); Grapevine is always looking for stories on individual steps and traditions

      The current La Viña issue special section is “Spirituality”

      Submit your Spanish-language stories for: The family and AA (due May 30); Acceptance (due July 30); Newcomer issue (due Sep 30)

      La Viña is always looking for stories on individual steps and traditions

      Grapevine has a Youtube channel! And can record your story www.youtube.com/aagrapevine

      The next meeting of the Grapevine committee is May 11, 2021 at 7:00pm

      WORKSHOP – SOWING SEEDS OF SOBRIETY o SATURDAY MAY 15TH 2021 4-6PM CT

Hospitals and Treatment Facilities Committee. – Mike R

      We still need Big Books for the Meeting Tub in the Main Auditorium at Share 1776 Moon Lake Blvd Hoffman Estates, IL 60169!

      We still need AA attendees at Amita - Saint Alexius Behavioral Center 1650 Moon Lake Blvd Hoffman Estates, IL 60169 at 6 PM Tuesday Evenings! A Big Book Read and Discussion Meeting!

      The CASA Area 19 HTF Committee has met on May 3rd and May 17th with Laura B (Area 19 Chair) as Host and Chair with representatives from  District 12, District 13 and District 16 in attendance!

      Bre sent out attachments to GSRs that were composed by Laura B (Area 19 Chair), Katie M (CASA Office Manager) Chad S (District 16) and some help from the After Hours Phone Committe! Please read these! Need lots of help with Bridging the Gap!

Special Accessibilities Committee – Randall

      At their committee meeting they discussed handicap accessibility and bathrooms as things open up

      5 sub-committees formed to address new goals: elder, outreach, to-go meetings, meeting access, deaf community outreach

Committee on Conferences – Vacant

Technology Committee- Vacant

Website Administrator – Nazar Z & John

      Not here but there have been some improvements on the website

      Want to ask them to put the picnic flyer on website

Secretary’s Report – Bre M

      Nothing new

Alternate District Chair Report – Debbie absent

District Chair Report – Jim W

      Need to update directory of meetings. Jim will send out email

1.       The CASO Office Manager, Katie M. has reached out to District 13, three times since our last GSR meeting.

o   Regarding general liability insurance, other districts in Area 19 are interested in obtaining their own coverage.

                                           I've been contacted by Terry L./District 14.

     I have digital versions (PDFs) of the Schedule of Insurance and the Policy itself (12 pages).

     I spoke with Mark Kay of Heil and Kay Insurance Agency, Inc., the broker who emailed me the policy.

     The coverage seems very general, going into a lengthy text of the terrorism exclusion, which we rejected, but is somewhat covered (if I read this correctly) under The Terrorism Insurance Risk Act of 2002, which has been extended to 2027.

o   Area 19 Bridging the Gap needs.

                                           Mike R (D13 HTF Committee Chair) was contacted.

                                     Area 19 BTG info and Volunteer Form can be found here:

https://www.chicagoaa.org/committees/bridging-the-gap/

o   As in-person meetings become more prevalent in Area19 as the pandemic lessens, our directories need to be as accurate as possible.

                                    Katie sent all the DCMs an email with both the Suburban and Chicago Meeting

Directories.

      They're edited to show what meetings are inactive and active.

      They're both editable as well so that corrections/additions can be made.

     If the area isn't notified of any changes or a meeting seems to be inactive, it will not be included in the directory

o   I didn't forward that email to the GSR yet, which I received Friday 5/14and viewed the next day, because I wanted to discuss it at our GSR mtg.

                                         I'm thinking of simply sharing those documents from my Google drive, so that

District 13 will only have two edited documents rather than sending a hodgepodge back to CASO.

                                                  If your group feels more comfortable contacting CASO separately, that's ok too.

     I'll forward Katie's email after the GSR meeting regardless, with a little more commentary.

2.       There are 2 more Post Conference Delegate Report sessions left.

      Wed. 6/2 6pm – 7:30pmCT & Sun.6/6 11am – 12:30pmCT

      Zoom Meeting ID 989 54919116 Password A19Post

New Business

      None

Old Business

      None

      Next Casa is this next weekend. Info in the agenda!

Motion to Close – Jim W

Meeting Adjourned

District Minutes Archive

Home  |  Contact Us  |  Mobile